Registrations for the 15th edition of ADHM soars to an all-time high
As the capital city readies itself to host the 15th edition of the world’s most prestigious Airtel Delhi Half Marathon on Sunday, 20th October 2019, Procam International revealed that the registrations for all categories, has soared to an all-time high of 40,633 participants.
In its milestone year, the Great Delhi Run has registered an unprecedented 16,962 runners. The half marathon witnessed a spike of 11 per cent with 13,115 participants and the 10K run registrations have jumped up by 77 percent to 8,553. The senior citizen run too has received a heart-warming 1430 registrations, while the champions with disability will have 573 inspiring individuals defying all odds to complete the distance.
This IAAF Gold Label race with prize money of USD 275,000 boasts of a star-studded mix of Track & Field and road runners from India and across the world.
INDIAN ELITE LINE-UP: ADHM 2014 and 2011 winner, Suresh Kumar Patel will lead the men’s line-up. He has also tasted victory in four editions at the TCS World 10K (2018, 2015, 2013 & 2011) in Bengaluru. In his most recent appearance for 25kms distance run, Patel timed a personal best of 1.04.38.
Patel's exploits will be challenged by young gun Murali Kumar Gavit, a bronze medalist in Asian Athletic Championship 2019 in Doha. He is also a product of the Elite Distance Running Program (EDRP) that was initiated by Procam International along with SAI and Global Sports Communications. Anish Thapa Magar who recently won a half marathon held in Kathmandu will also be a strong contender in the Indian Elite challenge along with Shankarman Thapa.
ADHM 2017 Course record holder L Suriya and 3000m steeplechase national record holder Sudha Singh will lead the Indian Elite Women’s category. Suriya clocked 70.31 in 2017 to create a new course record while Sudha, who won the 2012 edition will be seen in a tough contest. The other big name in the women's fray is Parul Chaudhary who finished runner up at the 2018 edition.
“We are thrilled to see the record number of registrations for Airtel Delhi Half Marathon. It underlines the deep engagement this platform has established with participants and the public at large around the spirit of this marathon. Airtel is very proud to be a part of this amazing event and wishes all participants the very best for the run.” said Vani Venkatesh, CEO – Delhi/NCR, Bharti Airtel
"It is overwhelming to witness registrations grow year-on-year and especially with this being a milestone year. It is unprecedented to have more than 40,000 runners on the start line at ADHM next Sunday, 20th Oct. In addition to the array of international athletes, we have a very respectable line-up of Indian elite athletes, who will show their mettle. To have one of the world’s most celebrated athlete’ Carmelita Jeter, as the Event Ambassador, will surely be a motivating factor for the multitude of runners" stated Vivek Singh, Joint Managing Director, Procam International.
CORPORATE HEAD HONCHOS TO LEAD THE WAY: Keeping the tradition of creating firsts, Procam International, last year announced corporate leaders of some of the biggest business houses in India, to lace up as pacers for the event. The tradition continues and this edition will see 19 CEOs, MDs, VPs, champion the cause of helping others complete their distance running goals; the mark of a true leader.
PUMA RACE DAY TEE: As a major motivation to all registered participants, PUMA will give away Race-Day Singlets and Tee to all the half marathoners. The trendy, yet uber-comfortable dry-fit tee was launched during the press conference in New Delhi today.
ECO- STRIDE: STEP FORWARD TOWARDS A 100% WASTE MANAGED RACE: Apart from being a globally acclaimed sporting event, the event is committed to putting the environment first. Following the Swachh Bharat Abhiyaan, Procam International in the last few years, has proactively been implementing sustainable measures to mitigate waste generation in a mass participation event.
This year ADHM is ably supported by New Delhi Municipal Council (NDMC) who will lend their expertise to ensure all the waste on the route is efficiently managed. In addition to this, for the first time ever Delhi Metro Rail Corporation (DMRC) has associated with the event to provide special metro services.
Procam is also closely working with Hasiru Dala Innovations, a social enterprise, who will supervise the different eco-friendly alternatives and ensure efficient waste management at ADHM.
ADHM Green commitments are:
- Zero Waste to Landfill
- Fast Track last-mile waste disposal.
- Use ADHM as a platform to promote awareness about waste management & better environmental practices.
- 250 NDMC sanitary workers deployed on route to ensure efficient collection and segregation
Minimise usage of Paper
- Online Entry Forms & E-Handbooks to reduce the consumption of paper used for printing forms and handbooks for applicants.
Plastic usage reduction:
- Reduction in 2,78,000 + plastic bottles across the event - Water distributed in special paper cups (with water-based coating and no plastic lining) at major locations on route and venue
- Runners encouraged to bring their own water bottles on Race day which can be refilled at water stations.
- Reusable cloth bags handed out to participants at the Expo, Bibs handed out directly without any plastic cover
- Paper bags used for event kitting, medals in cloth pouches and post-event refreshments handed out in reusable Cloth bags
- Around 200,000 sq. feet of flex upcycled to make shelters for the homeless and floor mats from waste segregation
- 300 waste handlers & 35 supervisors, deployed in totality during race week at the venue
- Last mile waste management handled by Chintan – an Environment Research & Action group
Recycle plastic & other materials
- Residual PET bottles – separated, cleaned, crushed & recycled at certified centres
- Packing Materials: Cardboard, paper, tin, wood among others – recycled into manufacturing of same materials, reducing the use of virgin material
Greener mode of Transport:
- Special Bus services provided from various parts of the city and NCR to ferry runners to the 10 km venue at Jai Singh Marg
- Electric autos to ply for Stadium Mobility of operating crew in JLNS and emergency purposes
- DMRC has extended its support to ADHM and will begin select Metro services by 4:00 am to facilitate the ADHM participants.
- Wet food waste – composted at an organic composting facility
- Sewage waste – Treated & recycled at the de-centralised NDMC Sewage treatment plant located at Sanjay Camp, Chanakyapuri
MIRCHI GET ACTIVE EXPO, is a one-stop destination for health and fitness enthusiasts to come together under one roof. The Expo will be inaugurated on Thursday, 17th October and will be on until Saturday, 19th October 2019. Thursday to Friday, the expo will remain open from 10:30 am to 7:00 pm and on Saturday from 10:00 am to 5:00 pm at Jawaharlal Nehru Stadium, Gate # 5, Pragati Vihar, New Delhi.
The Expo is also the venue for all confirmed participants to come and collect their running bibs, study the race day instructions, familiarize themselves with all the timelines, approach plans, layout plans, security arrangements, traffic restrictions, road closures and other provisions that will come into force on Race Day.